HERE ARE THE HEADLINES WHICH ARE FOLLOWED BY THE COMPLETE STORIES…
- Laura Elliott inspires us with her story of career evolution and life-changing events that will amaze you. By bringing together her loves of writing, travel, and her zeal for missionary work she has traveled around the world several times and brings us beauty and hope. Laura’s astonishing story will surprise and inspire you, and motivate you to read her Recent Posts on her blog http://www.laurasmagicday.com. Thank you Laura for sharing your incredible story…
- Steph Zhong shares with us the release of a new online magazine/community she created called Zim Zum. What is Zim Zum? According to Steph, “This is an online place where people can come to restore their faith in humanity” and she adds further, “…love what makes you different and connect with people from all walks of life.” She has a call out to past classmates to send in their stories for publication and includes a pitch guide to make submission easy. C’mon. Send in those stories that lift the human spirit by helping her shine a light on what is good for a change!…
- Percival Carino shares with us his thanks to those who supported him as he recently ran the Los Angeles Marathon and bested his previous marathon time by 56 minutes! Percival is enrolled in our current Crafting a Meaningful Career-Part One class and is achieving meaningful goals on many levels. He is also signed up to run the New York Marathon in November. Congratulations Percival!…
- Karen Lau reaches out to us as she looks for producers or a production company that can help her as she creates necessary Public Service Spots for the Veteran’s Administration. Talented filmmakers who want to do something meaningful can contact Karen directly and make a difference in the lives of those who have served our country…
- Sharon Cavanaugh, freelance photographer and photography instructor, adds the good news that she has started back to college by enrolling at Pasadena City College and is working to transfer to a university specializing in Linguistics or Political Science. We wish you all the best, Sharon, and know you will succeed…
- Jian Huang of Pasadena Photography Arts invites us to attend “…an evening with internationally-recognized photographer Shayne McGuire as we venture to faraway landscapes across the world and explore the ever-changing and unfolding beauty of nature.” The event is Thursday, April 12 from 7:00 to 9:00 P.M. at the Armory Center for the Arts in Pasadena…
- Andrea McCarthy again generously shares a list of job opportunities in the arts at institutions of higher learning. Listed here in this blog are just a sample of the opportunities and more jobs are listed on the web site for Academic Keys, Inc. Thank you Andrea for making these notifications possible…
… AND NOW HERE ARE THE COMPLETE STORIES:
- Laura Elliott, Writer/Author- “Dear Tony, I’m writing to you about a dream come true. There’s really no words to say how happy I am in my new career and I know I would never be here without you. As you know I was pretty deep in despair when I came to Art Center to help me find a way out. What would I do now? How would I support myself in my uncertain future?
Well, I’ll never forget the chart we did juxtaposing our professional careers and personal lives in order to see our patterns. At the end of class we determined that my path would marry my passions for writing, travel and missionary work. It was all really great information but I had no idea how to apply this information to real life and how I would support myself.
I guess my message to people who are where I was is to just take the first step and follow your passions and pray for the Lord’s guidance.
The obvious things like travel writer or screenwriter not only seemed like long shots but as almost everyone, even a professional coach I hired to help me progress, would point out they all paid poorly. But I didn’t listen.
I charged ahead taking aim at the dream and the unseen, trusting in the Lord to show me the way. I had lost everything. I had no money. I had no idea how I would make my life work. At one point while I was taking your class I had to pay for my rent by pawning my jewelry, so pie-in-the-sky ideas shouldn’t have really even been on my radar. But I chose to put my walk with the Lord first above anything I understood. And I listened to where he called me to go.
After selling everything I had and journeying around the world twice, to 24 countries on 6 continents I now have a dream career and have made my dream of doing missionary work, living on the beach and owning a yacht come true too! It’s a crazy story but a wonderful story. I am a ghost. And since I also write about spirituality I guess you could call me a holy ghost. I smirked when I realized this because I remembered your challenge to us to figure out a great title so at a cocktail party people will ask you questions. …My business card lists my business address in Singapore :)
Today I am a contributing writer at World Travel Magazine and have gone on media trips that are fully paid for, my next one is to South Africa to survey Cape Leopards for three weeks this October. I write luxury travel articles and interview profiles that focus on life-changing, planet-healing travel featuring self-discovery, pilgrimages, eco-travel and journeys of the heart.
This is my biggest interview to date: https://www.wtravelmagazine.com/choreography-of-architecture-saving-the-planet-with-leo-dicaprio-and-the-romantic/
I have also sold my first screenplay for an episodic documentary series and the TV pilot is in production.
I am so happy because I live just about 10 minutes away from my girls and a five-minute walk from my yacht at Santa Cruz Harbor, where I sail with my partner, a sea captain, as much as possible.
Life sure has a funny way of working out. Right after I became partners on the boat with Joseph, about a year ago, I began to write for sailing companies and cruise lines. I even got invited on a media trip to LA (all expenses paid) to attend the CLIA show where I made a lot of connections and have a new piece coming out in World Travel Magazine about Beyond the Ordinary and Behind the Scenes Cruising. I write luxury travel so that has been very fun. This of course led to many more opportunities to write for other magazines and outlets as well :)
Thank you so very much for believing in me and for your wisdom. I think of you all the time when I bid on jobs. And every time I learn a lesson about how I could have done a better job of bidding. I constantly reference your advice on good business relationships––good communication based on respect all on a foundation of trust. This is my North Star in business.
Have a wonderful week! And thank you for the encouragement!!!
Laura A H Elliott
831-521-8933 | email@example.com
http://www.laurasmagicday.com/ | Skype: elliwrite
Look for Laura on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Instagram
- Steph Zhong, Creative Director- “Hi Tony, Happy belated 2018! Hope your year is off to a great start.
I wanted to share the release of a new online magazine/community I created called Zim Zum (http://www.zimzum.us). Thanks in part to taking your class, I was able to merge my love of storytelling, graphic design into a project meant to counter the rising culture of hate and intolerance we live in today.
This is an online place where people can come to restore their faith in humanity. By discovering or sharing stories of people who find love, friendship, connection, healing in unlikely places–with people they originally perceived as too 'different from them."
We're currently running a call for stories and invite past classmates to pitch stories (in any medium) for publication. The pitch guide is here, http://www.zimzum.us/pitch-us.
Above all, thank you Tony. You pushed me to find a way to make my passion for storytelling and design into a career. I'm on my way.
Stephanie Zhong, LEED AP
Founder + Creative Director
Dear Anne Media
"Creative Solutions with a Conscience"
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
About Us: Restore your faith in humanity, love what makes you different and connect with people from all walks of life. Zim Zum is a destination for stories to counter the rising tide of hate speech, fake news and screaming heads. Come to read, watch, or listen to stories of people stepping out of their comfort zones to meet someone they might not normally connect with. By curating these stories together in one place, we remind ourselves that humans are fundamentally compassionate, generous, teachable and giving. And if you’re looking to expand your perceptions of others, lighten up your bias, and own who you are, this is a safe and encouraging place to grow.
- Percival Carino, Graphic Designer- “Happy Monday, I finished the LA Marathon at 4:02. This was a testimony to my hard work and the love and support I have from my partner, family and friends that believed in me. Last year I finished the marathon at 4:58 mins. I shaved 56 mins from last year to this year and this clearly tells me a lot of what my capacity is not just from my personal work ethic but also on the things I am passionate about. I am excited to discover more about myself and the new chapter I am opening. I am very blessed, honored to share this with all of you as this was unexpected and I am so proud of my efforts.
Thank you and see you guys Tuesday night (in class).”
- Karen Lau, Creative Director- “Hey Tony- How are you?
Was wondering if you know any producers/production company that would be a good partner for me to work with on Veterans Administration Public Service Announcements, VA PSA’s.
…I’m in the market to look for a new partner. They have to be good people…wanting to work for a good cause or they will become resentful of all the paperwork and bureaucracy.
Hope you are well!
Creative Director / Special Projects + Brand
+1 626 393 3950
- Sharon Cavanaugh, Photographer- “Hello Tony, How are you?
I wanted to let you know of a couple of updates for me. I love reading about everyone else. I started back at college last week at Pasadena City College. I’m studying for my Associates Degree to jump over with a transfer to USC or Cal State University to finish my BA in either Linguistics or Political Science. I’m really enjoying it so far. We already have tests and exams happening this week. It’s quite a change.
P h o t o g r a p h y
USA: (213) 400 5191
Political Science & Linguistics Student
Pasadena City College
- Jian Huang, Principal, phcollective
DATE: Thursday, April 12 from 7 to 9PM
Facebook Event & RSVP Link
Pasadena Photography Arts presents
FORUM: The Art of Natural Light
Join us for an evening with internationally-recognized photographer Shayne McGuire as we venture to faraway landscapes across the world and explore the ever-changing and unfolding beauty of nature.
Shayne's a State of California credentialed teacher in Commercial Photography and owns Wild Compass Photographic Tours traveling to Alaska, Africa, and beyond. She was named Nature Photographer of the Year in 2013 by the Professional Photographers of LA County and received a Highly Honored Award with Natures Best, from which a piece is exhibited at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.
Armory Center for the Arts
145 N Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103
Parking on the street meters (paid) or adjacent city lots (first 90 minutes is free)
FOR MORE INFO:
Sponsored and produced by PasadenaPhotographyArts. A project of Fulcrum Arts / EMERGE Program.
Editor’s note: Below is a sampling of mostly new job offerings in art related fields available through Academic Keyes. For more job listings click on their Facebook link.
- Andrea McCarthy, AcademicKeyes- University jobs in Art - Photography, and other related areas
Dear Professor Luna, This month's issue of AcademicKeys' e-Flier for Fine Arts features 42 faculty openings, 5 senior administrative positions, and 0 post-doc opportunities and links to hundreds more positions in higher education.
Issue: Fine Arts Mar. 29th, 2018
This AcademicKeys e-Flier contains higher education positions in:
- Art - Photography
Become a fan of Academic Keys on Facebook! Click here:
Follow us on Twitter!
POST YOUR JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
Add your department's positions to our next e-Flier, where 98% of the top 100 universities in the USA advertise their positions:
Assistant Professor of Photography
California State University, Los Angeles
Department of Art
Los Angeles, CA, United States
Date Posted: Nov. 8, 2017
NEW! - Full Time Faculty
California Institute of the Arts
Program in Art and Technology in the School of Art
Valencia, CA, United States
Date Posted: Mar. 24, 2018
NEW! - Professor of Practice in Documentary Film
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture
Department of Film, Television and Scenography
Date Posted: Mar. 13, 2018
NEW! - Discipline Lead, Digital Marketing
RMIT University Vietnam
School of Business and Management
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Date Posted: Mar. 8, 2018
NEW! - Regular Faculty, Acting & Directing
University of Idaho
Theatre Arts and Film
Moscow, ID, United States
Date Posted: Mar. 7, 2018
NEW! - Asst. Professor in Digital Media Strategies for Bus.
University of Connecticut
Digital Media & Design
Storrs, CT, United States
Date Posted: Mar. 5, 2018
NEW! - Assistant Professor in Web and Interactive Design
University of Connecticut – Stamford Campus
Department of Digital Media and Design
Stamford, CT, United States
Date Posted: Mar. 5, 2018
NEW! - Assistant Professor - Voice (Tenure Track)
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, Canada
Date Posted: Feb. 27, 2018
Instructor or Assistant Professor in Film and Media
Villanova, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb. 22, 2018
Instructor or Assistant Professor in Digital Media Design
Villanova University Villanova, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb. 22, 2018
Faculty Positions in Design
School of Design
Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India
Date Posted: Feb. 19, 2018
Visiting Assistant Prof. or Instructor of Design Thinking
Miami University of Ohio
College of Creative Arts
Oxford, OH, United States
Date Posted: Feb. 16, 2018
Faculty Positions for 2018-2019 Academic Year
Marymount Manhattan College
New York, NY, United States
Date Posted: Feb. 14, 2018
Assistant/ Associate/ Full Professor of Self Development
American University of the Middle East (AUM)
College of Liberal Arts
Al Kuwait, Al Ahmadi, Kuwait
Date Posted: Feb. 5, 2018
Professor in Photography Research
Aalto University School of Art, Design and Architecture
Department of Media
Date Posted: Jan. 30, 2018
Open Rank Faculty Position in Urbanism / Urban Design
University of Southern California
School of Architecture
Los Angeles, CA, United States
Date Posted: Jan. 29, 2018
Instructor - Photography (Tenure-Track)
Shoreline Community College
Shoreline, WA, United States
Date Posted: Dec. 19, 2017
Assistant Professor (Art)
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS, United States
Date Posted: Dec. 15, 2017
Assistant/Associate Professor of Illustration
University of Hartford
Illustration Department, Hartford Art School
West Hartford, CT, United States
Date Posted: Dec. 1, 2017
To view more academic jobs, visit: http://finearts.academickeys.com/
Academic Keys, LLC
1066 Storrs Road, Suite D
Storrs, CT 06268
Once again we are honored to take note of the hard work our contributors have accomplished and we are thrilled to promote their activities. Please continue to support the members of our creative community as they design meaning within their careers. Thanks to all for their informative and inspiring contributions.
If you are not on the mailing list and would like to receive your own monthly notices of these Updates please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Conversely if you would like to be removed from the email list simply email email@example.com and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Keep sending in your informative and motivating emails. I may have to edit them in the interest of space but I will do my best to keep their integrity. Emails and notices are usually posted in the order they are received. Tony Luna Creative-Updates are produced approximately once a month so please provide enough lead time when submitting emails so they can be posted in a timely fashion.
Keep creating wonderful art and design, and, as always, stay in touch!
Tony Luna Creative
A Creative Consultancy
819 North Bel Aire Drive
Burbank, CA 91501
Home office: 818-842-5490
Adjunct Professor: Art Center College of Design
Contributing Consultant to "Bokeh Magazine, The Art and Life of Photography," an online magazine for the iPads and iPhones.
Author: "How to Grow as a Photographer: Reinventing Your Career" Allworth Press and
"Mastering the Business of Photography: What the Pros Do When They Are Not Taking Incredible Photos" Skyhorse/Allworth Press
Providing support, inspiration and networking for mid-career creative professionals